Post 501 Volunteer Projects
<Updated as of 4/15/2018>
As a result of the Post 501's House Committee meeting, 3/24/2018, the following projects are still on the books as needing completion: Not Weather Dependent > (NWD): Weather Dependent > (WD)
1) Outside painting of building. Person Power (PP) needed - 4-6 for 2 days or so, (WD) Note: the current paint has been scraped, as of 5/14/18. We will now power wash the surface, prior to completing item 2) next. If you like to spray stuff with a hose, contact us for timing, we can use your help.
2) Tuck cement cracks on block walls - PP 2 - 3 for about 4 hours, (WD), to do b4 #1)
3) Build half wall in kitchen - PP 2 - 3, 4 hours, non weather dependent (NWD)
4) Construct exit door in back storage room - required by city code - PP 2 - 3, 8 hours (NWD)
5) Put in Air Conditioner in renters kitchen. A/C unit is available, PP 3 - 4, 2 hours (NWD) Completed !
6) Electrical outlets needed in History Room, includes wiring - PP 2 - 3, 4 hours (NWD)
7) Drop ceiling installed in History Room, PP 2 - 3, 1 or 2 days depending if they can get along (NWD)
8) Lights installed in the new drop ceiling, PP 3 - 4, 8 hours (NWD)
9) Refinish Legion Post 501 Memorial sign on outside, find contractor to finish, PP 2 - 3 to install (WD).
10) Install outside safety lighting, PP 3 - 4, 6 hours, (WD)
11) Reconstruct the entrance to the renters space. Current wood door frame is rotted from within. PP 3 - 4, 6 hours, (WD)
Our American Legion Post 501 needs work on a substantial number of projects, some currently ongoing, to improve the quality of our Post. One of our highest priorities is the renovation of the Post History Museum/Auxiliary meeting room. After several years of planning, and in receipt of sufficient funding to cover the costs of materials, and gathering of team members who are able and intelligent enough to provide the labor hours, the room is finally a work in progress. We're now about three/fourths of the way done, with outside door, ventilation, and drop ceiling with lighting still being the outstanding projects. Hopefully - completion will hit the target of this coming, now a goal is June 2018. While we missed the October 2017 target date due to lack of appropriate funding - we now have sufficient funding. What is needed now is person power (PP) - that is to say, folks willing to provide of their valuable personal time to roll up their sleeves and get to work in installation/painting etc. Many of our Legionnaires, due to age or physical abilities, are unable to provide the hours at labor. However, that does not prevent them from becoming highly valued members. Remember - we would like either a "Dollar" or an "Hour". We figure that one hour of physical labor is worth $10 in cash donations. We are fortunate to have a Legionnaire, Rick Bressett, here in Post 501 who has donated the equivalent of 70 hours of labor. Those funds which Rick Bressett so generously provided will allow us to complete almost all of the financial aspects of the projects listed above.
We will continue to update this section of this page in the near term, as further progress ensues. The Legionnaires of Post 501 also want to pay a special thanks to our Auxiliary members who so generously provided, out of their own limited budget, a substantial amount of funding which has allowed this renovation to proceed. What Post 501 needs now "are hands on deck" for manual labor.
Below is the work in progress on the Post 501 History Auxiliary Room, which you can now see the results of their labor. Other than the planned drop ceiling with recessed lighting, and a few more electrical outlets, this new room is now serving its purpose of exhibiting the history of the Legion Post 501. Our loyal Auxiliary members gladly now fill the conference table to continue their plans in support of our combined mission.
Post 501 Volunteer Projects Recently Completed:
Following is a list of projects which have been completed to improve the quality of the Post 501 facilities, used both by fellow legionnaires, and also open to the public. We want to express our fullest appreciation to those folks who put in their time and sweat labor to get these projects completed, especially under the guidance of Legionnaire Rich R.
> Outside water faucet
> New steel door installed on street (west) side of Legion Hall
> Toilet in restroom tightened up
> Trash room cleaned out (Oxymoron> Is this no longer a trash room?)
> Caulking of various windows
> Install Air Contitioner in renter's workspace.
To wrap things up, just want to say again that some of the work can be done on a weekend, and other projects can be partially completed during workdays. The Post 501 House Committee is responsible for establishing the project dates and times (TBD) and these will be published on this website's calendar as decisions are made.
If you can devote an hour or two of your time, please let us know – use the “Contact US” page of this website as a starting point. If you would be willing to assist in any way, just let us know of a day and time that you would be available. If you leave your phone number, we will get back to you as soon as possible for follow up and coordination.
Here are some other projects, not covered earlier:
New Installation Railings/Screens – Prevent 4 funded PP 2 - 3
animals/trash/trolls from accumulating under the deck
Outside Dusk > Dawn Lighting required 6 funded PP 2 - 3
Porch light needs work – nonfunctional 2 funded PP 2 -3
Roof Leak in Overhang/lanai 6 funded PP 2 - 3
Kitchen wall/ceiling plaster repairs 10 funded PP 3 - 4
Secure pole supporting overhang 2 funded PP 2
As you can see, we now have the monies in hand. We just need your physical help.